Friday, May 20, 2011

Europe - 2011 - # 6

FROM BERLIN TO PRAGUE:   We enjoyed our 3 days in Germany; 2 in Berlin and a partial day in Dresden.  Germany is a country filled with drivers of Mercedes, reving their engines in the hopes that a pedestrian will step off the curb.

Berlin is a very interesting city with lots and lots of construction going on.  Some of the buildings are quite spectacular.  We did lots of walking as our hotel was in a perfect location in the centre of things.  We also enjoyed our 3 meals in German restaurants.  I noted, however, in all three that no German wines were on the menus (primarily South American wines with some French).  Although the Germans have trouble making wine, no one can fault them for their business sense.

DIFFICULT DAY:  Yesterday was a difficult day for me as I have developed an infected tooth, causing great pain.  Unfortunately it is a capped tooth that holds a crown.  Yesterday, was a long struggle and by evening I retreated to our room with a cocktail of a double doze of anti-biotics and 3 different pain killers donated by various people on the bus.  In the meantime, Betty enjoyed an evening out which everyone told me to involved dancing and singing.  In fact, several called her the "Dancing Queen"

This morning, the throbbing has settled and the swelling in my face now only looks like I was hit with a small baseball bat, rather than a great mace.  In any event I just managed a 6-hour tour of Prague including lunch on the river, with the obligatory Czech Pilsner.

PRAGUE:   We have seen many beautiful and interesting cities on this tour.  Pudapest is very memorable.  However, none of them compare to Prague.  The city is quite stunning; clearly the most beautiful capital that I have ever visited.  The palace, St. Vidas Catherdral, the list goes on and on.

Our tour, however, is near the end.  Tomorrow we drive back to Vienna and then fly home of Sunday.  I hope my dentist is in on Monday.

No comments:

Post a Comment