Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Europe - 2011 - # 7

We are back home, but I thought I should add a couple of small, but pleasant anecdotes that ended our trip.

LAST NIGHT IN VIENNA:   Following a pleasant "good-bye" meal with the other travellers on the tour we went to a chamber concert held in a beautiful hall that at one time housed  the Austrian Stock Market.  The state chamber orchestra performed; the concertmaster playing a Strad.  Also on the program were two ballet dancers, a mezzo and a baritone.

In the second half the baritone sang a comic opera number that seemed vaguely familiar.  During the chorus he asked the audience to join in.  Betty and I had front row center seats and with a few glasses of weak Austrian wine in my gut I bellowed out in my best fake German.  The baritone quickly turned his head to stare at this exuberant tourist.  However, when he finished he walked to the edge of the stage and gave me a broad grin and a thumbs up.  Some of our travelling companions were quite impressed.

FLIGHT HOME:  The Dusseldorf to Toronto leg of the flight home was on Luftansa.  We were offered a choice of a Haut Medoc or a Ribera del Duero.  Betty and I both wisely choose the excellent Ribera and after each glass complemented the Steward on the fine wine.  When we deplaned the Steward presented us with an unopened bottle as a reminder of the flight.  Can't imagine Air Canada doing that.

DENTIST:    I now am on stronger antibiotics prior to a root canel, and other procedures which should happen in a couple of days.

No comments:

Post a Comment